14 January 2015

Storybook Nostalgia...

I'm in a world of nostalgic Children's storybooks at the moment.  

I've recently read 'Ballet Shoes' 




both by Noel Streatfeild 

 
and my very favourite default stories if I have no specific book to read...



I could spend hours pouring over storybook illustrations of the 20s and 30s...


Cecily Mary Barker's dear little farm girl....


She drew so many more beautiful illustrations other than her famous Flower Fairies...


Thank you Cicely...


and the many, many illustrations of the Brisley Sisters, Nina k. Brisley...



Ethel C. Brisley...



And


 
Thank you Joyce... 


(oh what would one do without them!)...

Do treat yourself to a copy of MILLY-MOLLY-MANDY


But DO MAKE SURE they are copies with the original illustrations by Joyce in them, do not deprive yourself of the charm these stories and illustrations bring....

I would love to hear from you if you love Milly-Molly-Mandy too?

Let's share memories, questions, loves of this beautiful storybook era...

 
In honour of these imaginery and perfect bygone eras, I have started to produce a range of little 
Verity Hope dolls inspired by the 1920s and 30s...  

Meet Jillly...
She spends her days running too and fro between the country lanes, skipping with her friends and laughing through buttercup meadows...
 






I'm in my forties... but I will never stop reading children's books and being absorbed in these little pockets of a perfect world...!

GO OUT AND PLAY!
And happy reading to you all my friends...


Susannah x

No comments:

Post a Comment