26 August 2017

Wood is wild...

Hello, I'm Susannah and welcome to my blog about dolls and doll making inspired by days gone by.
Sasha and Audrey wanted to be in this post today...

Along with June who is a reproduction Dewees Cochran by Effanbee, aka Belinda Bunyan...


I always love to store needlework items in wooden boxes and baskets.  I bought this wooden sewing box quite recently, a good size with a handle so I can bring my work outside into the garden.


It did lack character though and had that manufactured feel to it so I took the plunge and gave it an antique make over using a bit of wood stain.


Added some felt inside so the equipment can be more protected and have gone from liking my wooden sewing box to LOVING the wooden sewing box...



So if anyone is thinking of re-vamping their own box, I say go ahead and do it!

Sasha and June are chatting in front of a few other wooden boxes I use to store equipment in...


This one is from Ikea and I applied wood stain to it to give it an aged look.  It holds all the sewing threads perfectly and June likes the purple ones best as you can see...


And this box is from the Futon company.  I applied linseed over it as recommended and it gave it a nice natural depth and sheen...



It holds way more than the plastic embroidery holders, although I do love the way the sections in those keep all the colours separate....







Oh and in a local pub they had this old photopgraph on the wall... I simply had to take a picture of it as it shows a little girl wearing the most adorable dress and beret, just the perfect style...


 I think Sasha, June and Audrey would agree!






HAPPY DAYS TO ALL THOSE WHO STILL PLAY!


Susannah x

No comments:

Post a Comment